Established July 9, 1958
On August 22, 1955, the Kentucky Property and Buildings Commission passed a resolution approving the development of a state park in northern Kentucky. Due to a change in administrations in December 1955, no other actions on establishing a park took place. Not until July 9, 1958 did Kincaid Lake State Park join the Kentucky State Parks System. The Kincaid Park Development Association transferred 800 acres to Kentucky for the creation of a lake and a state park. The association, developed in January 1955, had worked for the establishment of a park in Pendleton County. As early as September 17, 1957, a mass meeting of Pendleton County citizens and representatives of surrounding counties had worked toward the goal of obtaining the land for a proposed park. Local citizens raised the money to purchase the land for the lake and park site.
During the summer of 1958, the Department of Fish and Wildlife awarded contracts to clear the land where the lake would be established. The dam to impound Kincaid Creek was constructed in 1961, and by 1963 Kincaid Lake opened to the public. In 1960 the park had a name change from Kincaid Lake State Park to Falmouth Lake State Park. Local residents felt that the name should be changed back to Kincaid for historical reasons. In 1969 Kincaid Lake State Park again became the official name.
From 1960 through 1967, developments at Kincaid Lake State Park included a beach and bathhouse, a boat dock, picnic areas, camping facilities, internal roads and parking areas. The state spent a half million dollars between 1960 and 1969 on developments and improvements. The park now has 850 acres with 84 campsites, a gift shop, grocery, and a multipurpose building with seating for 240. Also in the park are a 300-seat amphitheatre where weekly movies are shown and a 38-slip marina with boat rentals. Fishing offers opportunities for bass, bluegill, catfish, and crappie. The park also has a nine-hole golf course and hiking trails.
The park maintains the 1878 Boston Steele log house. The structure is the second oldest house in Pendleton County. The house is constructed without nails. Only wooden pegs and dovetailed joints hold the building together. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, nails remained scarce and expensive in some parts of Kentucky. Builders learned to construct homes and barns by fitting wooden pegs so securely that some of these old structures remained sound more than a century after their construction.