The William Whitley House and Sportsman's Hill stand today as a monument to pioneer ingenuity and resourcefulness.
It was the first brick home and circular racetrack built west of the Alleghany Mountains, completed in 1794 by William Whitley and his wife Esther. Dubbed the "Guardian of Wilderness Road," the house was a gathering spot for early Kentuckians, including George Rogers Clark and Daniel Boone.
The grounds are open year-round (playground, shelter rental, and restrooms only) and access to the Sportsman’s Hill Walking Loop Trail is open year-round.
To reserve the shelter and for group tours call the park at (606) 355-2881.
Regular tours are scheduled to start May 15, 2019.
Admission for the summer is:
Senior Citizen $5.00
Group rate is $1.00 off admission price.